Wednesday 26 October 2011

We are weaning..

...and it makes me feel sad! I didn't breastfeed my eldest son, for reasons which were very genuine for me, but looking back I wonder what I was worried about. But that's a whole different post.

However, I have exclusively breastfed Benjamin. I have loved it. I love the bond it has given us, I love the ease of feeding wherever and whenever he needs, and I love that it's free (except for a breast pump and breast pads).

I wanted to wait until 26 weeks as I wanted to do baby led weaning. Noah was weaned at 16 weeks on medical advice, so that option was never open for us. I loved the cooking part though and I really enjoyed the process.

This time at 22 weeks, Benjamin pulled some toast from my hand and stuffed it in his mouth. My sign from him he is ready. At 23 weeks (in the last few days) I have started purée as actually I think he needs more than a couple of sucks on an apple stick! My intention is to do a combination of both, food to play with and explore, but also making sure he gets some food in his tummy.

Why am I sad? Because my newborn baby is almost 6 months old, and I cannot believe where the time has gone. I'm sad because my newborn baby who has been reliant on only me for food will be getting it elsewhere. Of course I know this has to happen, and I will enjoy it as much as I did with Noah.

It's just going to take some time to adjust to breastfeeding less, and my baby needing me in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by

Aly