Tuesday 20 September 2011

Treasured memories & things to come

One of my favourite memories as a child, is cooking with my Mum. She was at home with us when we were young and we always had lovely homecooked meals and cakes. Millionaire shortbread, gypsy creams, lemon cheesecake, lancashire hotpot, chicken paprika were among my favourites and still are.

Inspired partly by my lovely friend Sian and  partly by my work as a primary school teacher, I have decided that teaching my children to cook is very important to me. Basic cookery skills and the knowledge to create healthy but easy food is something that all children should be taught.

I don't pretend to be Nigella Lawson, as although I can find my way around the kitchen, I am still learning how to bake properly and how to create different meals that vary our diet.

So one day each week, Noah will be having his own dedicated cooking time, rather than just helping me when I do the dinner. We will start with "fun" kiddie things and as he gets older will progress to lunches etc that he will be able to make by himself following directions. I have started a scrapbook that has the recipe in and picture of the work in progress. The recipes will be mostly borrowed from Sian ;) and my favourite cookbooks. Credit will be given as appropriate.

I hope my boys will grow up to become self sufficient, and my job as a Mother is to teach these skills from early on.

Todays cooking activity was Peanut Butter cookies from "The Hummingbird Bakery" Cook book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by

Aly